Tuesday, April 20, 2010

It Takes A Graveyard To Raise A Child

With The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman has created a rich, surprising, and at times disturbing tale of dreams, ghouls, murderers, trickery, and family. I'm not a big fan of books dealing with supernatural subject matter, but found myself really enjoying reading this book. It presents a strong, strange, wonderful metaphor about children growing up, learning more about the world, and exploring beyond the safe boundaries of their homes or neighborhoods. I think in some ways children think of adults as "ghosts" - those funny talking older people whose time has passed, but who can provide shelter, care, and wisdom against the wider, crueler world. I also liked the fact that though Bod makes a few careless and thoughtless mistakes thoroughout the book, I felt no anger toward him or thought he needed to be punished for his actions. Gaiman does a great job of properly putting the readers of this book into the head of the protaganist- Bod. Even when Bod is being childlessly selfish and single minded, I'm able to understand and sympathize with him. I can see of my own young self in Bod and root for him to succeed. As Bod reaches each stage in his growth, he encounters obstacles and various people, all with different personalities, that help him mature. I think the sentence, it takes a graveyard to raise a child, could very easily be applied to this book. This book deals with the thought of children growing up and moving out - whether it be leaving a graveyard, or leaving their homes for college or other journeys. The Graveyard Book tips its hats to children making there way in the world, with their pasts behind them and their futures unknown. The last sentence of the book - "But between now and then, there was Life; and Bod walked into it with his eyes and heart wide open," left me with a feeling of reasurrance. I think this book would be great for children to read who are going through transistions such as moving or going to another school or grade level. It can help them realize that not all change is bad, and it can lead to new adventures and experiences.

4 comments:

  1. I like your point about the "safetiness" of this book. That is something I was thinking about when I read the scene about where Bod gets taken by the ghouls. Several threats are made towards Bod and I was almost worried for him but happy when Miss Lepescu rescued him. Also, the way in which Scarlett's parents restrict her from the graveyard made me wonder if this is even a safe place for children. Ultimately, I do believe it was a necessary experience for Bod to grow up in a graveyard but at times I couldn't help worrying about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mention Bod going away from the graveyard and going beyond the boundaries or safety of the home. I think it is important for kids to get out of their comfort zones and experience new and challenging things, something that Gaiman does by having Bod leave the graveyard. Without those experiences, he is not exposed to new events and stuck with the older and sometimes outdated information he receives from those that inhabit the graveyard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In contrast to so many other people's experiences with this text, you seemed to have had a really good connection and time reading it. I like how you explained why certain parts of the books made you enjoy reading it. The idea of the book centering around the idea of children growing up and moving out is a really important topic of discussion for all children as they are growing up. Also, the idea of children relating to this book when they are going through transitions may actually be the moral lesson underlying this story and I think it is important to take note of it. Regardless of the dark elements within the text and the possibility that young male readers would enjoy the book more, your experience is testimony to the fact that the book appeals to much more people on a much larger scale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though this book is called The Graveyard Story, I agree that it isn't all about death, it is about a journey. This is why I believe that have of the class enjoyed this book. Children who are going through difficult transitions can relate to this book and should read it. We have all grown up and can relate to this or the Jungle Book.

    ReplyDelete